Kalliope Muse speaks to me

Emigrée from GR

Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese Some books have a hypnotic effect and they leave you in a state of haziness when you finish them. Cutting for Stone has been such a book for me.It is a beautiful novel because it succeeds in creating endearing personalities. Apart from this, there is very little I can add to the very many reviews in GR, or to what the author has presented in the “Stanford Book Salon”. He acted as the Faculty Host when they chose this book in their monthly reading.As I do not belong to the medical community, I found, as many other readers, that the abundant medical content required more concentration on my part. But I did not mind. It helped to create a setting of doctors (most of the characters are, and a crucial part of the action takes place in SurgeryRoom3), and to get a glimpse of a medical mind, especially that of a surgeon’s. For example, visiting the patient just after succesful surgery can become addictive, because of its exhilarating effect. Or how nerve-wracking it must be to hold in one’s hands, literally, the heart of a beloved person. I think it would drive me mad.It has also been very enriching to learn about Ethiopia and to speculate on how history would have been different if the ancient Ethiopia (Aksumite kingdom) had succeeded in being an alternative Empire to Rome’s. I have started already some vague plans to visit the place (and not just its restaurants to taste the inviting injera).

The Aspern Papers (Dover Thrift Editions)
Henry James
No es lo mismo ostentoso que ostentório: la azarosa vida de las palabras
José Antonio Pascual Rodríguez
Dernier Des Camondo
Pierre Assouline
A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs (A la recherche du temps perdu, #2)
Marcel Proust, Pierre-Louis Rey
The Poetics of Space
Maria Jolas, John R. Stilgoe, Gaston Bachelard, Étienne Gilson
The Magic Mountain
Thomas Mann, John E. Woods
Siena, Florence, and Padua: Art, Society, and Religion 1280-1400, Volume 1: Interpretive Essays
Diana Norman